Saturday, February 19, 2011

Two Peas in a Pod :)

Danny's leave came and went faster than I thought it would. When he was here, it was amazing. Whenever we bickered over the phone or over Skype while he was in Afghanistan, it was so stupid of me to think that's how he would be permanently when he got home. When Danny was home, it was like he never even left. He was his same funny self, we got along with each other just how we used to and on the way home right after I picked him up he apologized for having an attitude with me like he did when he was in Afghanistan. It was so nice to hear that he knew he was wrong but still loved me. From that moment on we were two peas in a pod:)

We never once questioned the love we have for each other when he was home. We never doubted that we would stay together. We laughed all day everyday together, and it was just like old times. For any of the ladies out there who had the same problem as me, arguing with their soldier for no reason, just know that things will quickly go back to how they used to be when they're home for leave. And I'm sure when Danny is home for good, he will be even happier; the whole two weeks were great, but everyday he thought to himself that he has to leave shortly again. Being home for good will make them so at ease and relaxed, I am looking forward to that! I can't even believe how awesome those two weeks were, I can't get over it! I was so worried that he was going to hate me or something when he got home or just be on edge the whole time, but it couldn't have been any more perfect. The first weekend he was home we went to South Royalton, VT and stayed in this cozy little cabin (that was beautiful) and we went to Burlington, VT for a winter festival and just enjoyed each other's company. It was a great time! It was the little alone time I had with him the whole two weeks that he was home. Seeing Danny with his nephew, Darren, made me tear up. He loves that little guy like he's his own! He couldn't believe how much Darren grew and how he was speaking full sentences (for the most part) now, and that he knows a word for everything, etc. Danny really missed his family and it was good to see them reuinited. His parents were the most excited, even if they held back their excitement a little, I could tell:) I can't wait to see him come home this summer to his family! That is going to be a very exciting day!

I was beyond excited that Danny was home for Valentine's Day! The plan was that he was to come home January 31st and leave on February 14th, but he came home on February 2nd so he stayed till the 17th! I couldn't believe that even coming home from Afghanistan he had something nice planned for me! We went to East Haven Hot Tubs in Northampton and we hung out in the hot tub for a little while, then got a couples massage. It was so relaxing, and much needed! Danny was a little sore the next day from the massage, haha! He gave me diamond earrings as my gift, along with a big box of chocolates and roses and a card with the best note ever written inside. We gave each other the same card unknowingly! His gift from me was a Guess watch that he immediately fell in love with! It looks awesome, but we don't know how to use half of the stuff that comes on the watch. As long as it looks cool, we're good:) Then that night we went to Max's Tavern, all dressed up, then spent the night together. It was a relaxing day, and the gifts were good... but the best gift was that he was home. I was preparing myself for the worst day ever that day months in advance thinking he wouldn't be home, and I didn't want to see everyone's status on Facebook about how they're having the best Valentine's Day ever, while I was stuck at home alone. Turns out it was the best Valentine's Day I could ever have:) His romantic side really hasn't changed. I was sick a few of the days (and I still am!), and he went out and got me medicine, rubbed my back and rubbed my head to make me feel better, constantly asked if I needed anything. I felt like the worst person in the world because I was SO sick while he was only home for a short time, but he told me he wanted to be there with me taking care of me. I have a feeling he missed being able to do that, being home and being able to be there and comfort me when I'm down. It makes me cry just thinking about it! He is such a good man. I would do anything for him!

Saying goodbye was the absolute WORST part. I hate it. I don't even like thinking about it. But we were both a little anxious for him to just leave already! I hope that doesn't sound bad.. but the quicker he left the quicker he would be back. It was bittersweet. It was horrible that he had to go back to life over in Afghanistan, but it was good because the next time I see him, he would be home for good! I was able to get a gate pass at Bradley airport, and I didn't even know they had those! It allowed me to go through security with him and all the way down to his gate and watch him board that plane. He was making me laugh the whole time we waited for him to board his flight, I'll never forget that. And he kept kissing me on the cheek and holding my hand and he told me he loved me over and over. When it was time for him to board his flight, that's when I got shakey and couldn't hold back the tears. He gave me one last hug and kiss before he had to stand in line to board the plane, and that was the worst. When I thought I was the only one crying into his shoulder, I was wrong. Danny rarely cries so when he does it makes me so sad! When he stopped hugging me I looked at him and the tears were rolling down his cheeks. He cleaned up and put on his soldier face again and went to stand in line. As soon as his ticket was checked he looked back and waved to me and blew me an air kiss and mouthed that he loves me. I didn't screw up this time by not waiting for him to wave to me! It sucked completely walking through the airport crying; it already sucked that I just had to say goodbye to him again, but everyone was just looking at me like I had two heads! Nothing to look at people, carry on with your day! So I walked all the way back to the parking garage alone and that was sad. I got over it though, because I need to stay positive again so this flies by just like the first half did! I kept telling myself on the drive home that the next time I am at Bradley airport it would be to pick up Danny for good and we will go back to normal just like we were before, and over these two weeks. Today is Danny's 21st birthday, and he is sitting in Kuwait waiting to go back to Afghanistan. When he gets home, I cannot wait to celebrate with him and give him the best party that he deserves!

When you are with your soldier on his leave, remember every single moment with him. I remembered specific moments to keep for when I'm sad, like looking over at Danny and seeing him sleeping and all cuddled up under his blankets. Or when we were laying down and he would just look at me with those hazel eyes and smile at me and kiss me. Or his cowlick on his hairline... I love it. I always looked at it because it's my favorite part of him. Just cherish every single little moment with your soldier, because those memories are what will keep you going and strong.

I love you so much hun! I will see you in 22 weeks:) To the moon and back

No comments:

Post a Comment